Ninth Circuit ruling re webpage threats

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Fri Mar 30 07:52:15 PST 2001

At 08:46 AM 3/29/01 -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 keyser-soze at hushmail.com wrote:
>
>>I think Judge Kozinski's ruling can also be easily read in support of free
>>speech by operator and participants in anonymous betting pools with
political
>>interests.
>

>I think you are wrong.  The neuremberg files website didn't *create*
>a motive for killing.  Assassination Politics would.  That is a key
>difference.
>
>				Bear

Well the celebrity deathwatch site provides material rewards for the best
'guesses', and has been running unchallenged for some time.  The site
itself pays you IIRC
---whereas an AP machine is more an EBay, merely supporting its clients'
content.  I think the deathwatch site also requires that winners had
nothing to do with the deaths they predicted ---though they have no such
investigatory capacities.

Creating motives? The politicians do that themselves.  And financial reward
for guessing
is hardly illegal ---in fact, the State runs the gambling around here.  But
monopoly
is unnatural, no?

"Advocacy and belief go hand in hand. For there can be no true freedom of
mind if thoughts are secure only when they are pent up." -- US Justice
William O. Douglas