Speaking of free speech...

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Mar 29 07:40:35 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:48:07AM -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

> Has anyone seen anything on the Supreme Court and the IR/4th Amendment
> Search issue? It seems like a vacuum.
>
> If the SC doesn't rule and let it just sit there won't this be the same as
> agreeing that the search is legal without having to face the actual
> constitutional test of issuing a ruling? What happens if they let it sit
> until the court retires (Oct.?) for the year? Are they required to
> re-visit when they rejoin?

They're not required to do anything. But I don't see any reason why
they won't rule by the end of the term.

A "vacuum?" There's been a lot of news coverage, sheesh. Hand-waving,
as usual, mixed with a bit of conspiracy theorizing.

-Declan

Case could define privacy
Feb. 22, 2001 14:31 ET
www.dallasnews.com/national/291863_1ascotus_20nat.html

Privacy Vs. Technology in High Court Case
Feb. 20, 2001 14:25 ET
abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/scotus_thermal010220.html

Supreme Court to consider whether privacy, high-tech snooping are at odds
Feb. 20, 2001 04:51 ET
seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeattleTimes.woa/wa/gotoArticle?zsection_id=268448413&t...

High-tech search at issue in pot case
Feb. 10, 2001 05:45 ET
www.nationalpost.com/news/world/story.html?f=/stories/20010209/470055.html

Privacy a Victim of the Drug War