semi-anon test from a throwaway account part deux

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Mar 28 22:13:00 PST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Jim may actually have half a point. But I suspect that 711 tapes aren't
> kept for years, and money orders often last *quite* a while.

Generaly they keep a tape for a week to a month or so. Most companies see
this sort of stuff as 'mission critical'. Some place like 7-11 may send
them off to a central site for storage up to a year. Remember the tapes
are critical evidence for INTERNAL issues as well. They are prime evidence
of theft, etc. If it's one of these big chain stores they feed the 5-10
fps signal out their VSAT for off-site storage and that can be kept for up
to a year.

MO's have a time limit. the Travellers Express I have in hand is 1 year (3
years in CA). You can't get one for more than about $400 anymore, and any
single site can't do you more than like $2000 in any 24 hour period.

The thesis that you're going to buy MO's and then delay using them is
probably effective if you are aware of the MO issuers security policies.
If not then you're better off using them as fast as possible. Of course if
you need this sort of protection you probably shouldn't buy them from your
city and probably shouldn't mail them from either of these two cities. Now
not only is there a MO trail, but a correlated travel trail as well. Of
course we'll pay for everything with cash and sign nothing. That will help
a lot, though we won't be flying, renting a car, or sleeping in hotels. We
should also do it in such a way that the day or two we're out catting
about nobody misses us. So work won't need us and family and friends won't
miss us either. How often can you pull that off before somebody starts
getting curios?

Traffic Analysis is a bitch. Evidence everywhere.

         If the law is based on precedence, why is the Constitution
         not the final precedence since it's the primary authority?

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com