It's 2001, so it must be time for A Modest Filtering Proposal

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Mar 28 20:48:48 PST 2001

At 11:22 PM -0500 3/28/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 12:06:13PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
>>  A more interesting downstream filter service would be something
>>  operated as an automated site, like another CDR node, except that it
>>  automatically filters out nonsubscribers to one of the main lists.
>>  (This requires no cooperation with the other CDR nodes, provided the
>>  whois function can retrieve their subscribers.)
>
>This is an old message, but let me point out that I post from
>a differnet address than my subscription address. I suspect I'm not
>the only one, so some manual "includes" may be in order.

Eric Murray took my proposal and ran with it, quickly implementing it
as the "cypherpunks at lne.com" address.

He has said that he is manually "including" various remailers, and
probably other addresses.

It might be enough for him to include the names outside of the
address boxes. E.g., "Declan McCullagh," regardless of the
"declan at well.com" or "agentdeclan at kremvax.org" or whatever.

Of course, if people use different names AND addresses, they are
indistinguishable from noise.

By the way, subscribing to Eric Murray's cypherpunks at lne.com has cut
out most of the spam and nearly all of the toad.com traffic. There is
no significant delay, either. Or to to be more precise, I see my own
posts about 2 minutes after sending them off. (It's conceivable that
my own messages loop back to me faster than other messages, but this
seems an unlikely feature of the mail exploder.)

[Note from Agents in the Northwest: "May just said "exploder." Put
this in his folder. We may have another Cypherpunk terrorist here."]

--Tim May

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns