Criminalization of "intentional looking" (Canadian Kiddie Porn Law)

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Mon Mar 26 19:34:53 PST 2001

IMPORTANT NOTICE: BY REPLYING TO THIS TRANSMISSION YOU ARE REPRESENTING THAT
YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER.*

I know Mr. May brought this up, but the earlier newslink left out some
important info. Here is a backgrounder:
http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/news/nr/2001/doc_26058.html - I can't find a
link to the actual bill on their site...(???) According to the backgrounder,
the kiddie porn elements of the CA Omnibus include/enhance the
criminalization of:

o luring*
o exporting

o transmitting
"This will make distribution of child pornography from one person to another
illegal" (Duh, but I don't know how far this definition extends.)

o making available
"This applies when someone posts child pornography material on a web site or
offers information on where to find it, for example, by providing a web site
address"

o "intentional" access - (5 years)
"Another new provision will prohibit anyone from intentionally accessing
child pornography on the Internet. This offence will be punishable by up to
five years imprisonment. Accessing offence does not criminalize someone who
inadvertently views child pornography on the Internet. The proposed
amendment will require the person to have knowledge that there is child
pornography on the site and a specific intention to access this material."
[FN1]

o possession with intent to distribute, etc.
o forfeiture provisions
o transcontinental provisions

1. Better known as the 'Lot's Wife' regulatory approach to the Internet.

~ Aimee