Slashdot | 3D Microfluid Computers Used To Solve NP Problems

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sat Mar 24 21:58:37 PST 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

>http://slashdot.org/articles/01/03/24/1840252.shtml

Cryptographically interesting.  It looks like starting now,
the highest-end threat facing a cryptosystem involves liters
of fluid performing molecular computation.

The kick is that these molecular computers aren't all that hard
to design and they scale.  Which means someone can have a
1000-liter computer with somewhere near the same ease they
can set up a milliliter computer.

So we need to revise the recommended key lengths for security
purposes.  There are about 2^167 atoms in planet earth,
about 2^30 nanoseconds per second, and 2^39 seconds till the
next ice age.  So, if a tenth of that mass were made into
ten-atom computing units that could complete a calculation
every ten nanoseconds, I get about 2^226 operations before
the next ice age.  Assuming each is a brute-force check,
we should probably be looking at symmetric ciphers with
keys a minimum of 225 bits long right about now. Round up
to the nearest handy power of 2 and make it 256 bit keys.

Fortunately, the AES, and several other recent symmetric
ciphers, have a use for a 256 bit key.

Unless they find some radical flaw in AES & Co, I don't see
a real problem posed by molecular computing; we just need
to start taking it into account when we decide what key
length to use.

				Bear