eye - Opening the border for FTAA - 03.15.01

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Mar 23 08:23:41 PST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

>http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_03.15.01/news/ftaa.html

This is misguided.  You can't involve the general public when you
are going to be doing something illegal.  The guy announces, "we
will have secured the bridge...." to the general public and every
and every LEO in nine states dispatches officer friendly to make
sure it doesn't happen.

So you have a problem.  You can open the border *IF* you don't blab
about it so the public can cross, or you can announce it to the
general public and watch a zillion lions converge to make sure it
doesn't happen.

It looks to me like this is a straight-up publicity play; the guy
has no intent to open the border (or at least knows he won't be
allowed to), but wants the publicity that will be generated by
a bunch of would-be border crossers running into a bunch of lions.

Besides, the US/Canadian border is pretty permeable anyway; it's
very long, unguarded, and has a long history of being crossed by
unarmed individuals who didn't bring any special tools...  such
as the draft dodgers who (unlike Quayle) couldn't afford national
guard posts.

				Bear