apostrophes

Fred Blumenthal xd2fabl at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 23 06:14:14 PST 2001

Note that on the subject line the word "apostrophes" is spelled without an
apostrophe.  If the subject were something belonging to an apostrophe, or
if it were a contraction of "apostrophe is," then it would be
"apostrophe's."  But the subject is the plural of "apostrophe."  This rule
may be applied to all uses of apostrophes.  "Fred's" would be "Fred is" or
something belonging to me; but more than one person named Fred is "Freds."
The same with decades: when numbers are used to indicate a decade - as in
"That 70s Crypto Show" - the use of an apostrophe is not called for,
because it's a plural, not a contraction or a possessive.  Of course, I
don't know how your role as self-described punks interfaces with that rule,
but a lot of people misuse apostrophes, and I'm afraid that if we misuse
them we'll lose them.

Fred Blumenthal
Sales Productivity Center - St. Louis, MO
Text/Graphics
xd2fabl at us.ibm.com
314/469-4344 or T/L 666-4344
**INCREASE YOUR FACE-TIME!  CALL THE SALES PRODUCTIVITY CENTER AT
1-877-707-2727!**