Hints...

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 21 09:48:54 PST 2001

Jim wrote:

> Reply publicly to the list or we're done with this discussion.

(Take a chill pill Jim.)  Sorry all, I guess I pushed the wrong button.  I
sent the following to Jim alone by mistake:

Jim wrote:

> Q: When did Congress pass a law specifically
>    making the 'common law' in the 7th
>    Amendment equivalent to English Common
     Law?

A: No need, it always was.  The pre-existing common law in this country was
not extinguished by independence.

>    Once again, why does "...shall make no
>    law..." not equate to (common law?)
>    'Stop' signs?

Once again, the admonition is directed at congress.  The common law does not
arise out of legislation and, thus, is not affected by the admonition.  Quod
Erat demonstrandum.