Did you notice

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Wed Mar 21 01:03:07 PST 2001

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Reese wrote:

> more fuel for the fire - Britain may ban toys:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1207000/1207355.stm
>
>  >Doesn't anyone besides myself know how to use a search
>  >engine, or check numbers before posting?
>
> Sure, but I wanted to know why the earlier url I posted DID NOT mention
> murder rates, along with all the violent crime it did list.  Anyone can
> find out what the numbers are, but will those numbers tell the story of
> why the most violent of violent crimes was elided from that story?

Anyone can find out what the numbers are?

A British doctor was jailed recently for murdering patients he
believed shouldn't continue to live.  I don't recall how many
murders he was convicted of, but it doesn't matter: estimates of
the total number killed are in the hundreds and climbing.  Very
few of these murders will enter any official statistics.

Since this came to light people in the UK have become much more
skeptical about health professionals; police are investigating other
cases where death rates differ widely depending upon which staff are
on duty.

These cases involve what is agreed to be murder.  It is certain
that the deaths of infants at the Bristol Royal Infirmary won't
be counted.  At BRI doctors kept on operating on children and were
allowed to do so even though they had an extraordinarily high death
rate.  Colleagues warned them that their surgical procedures were
ill-advised and they were widely known to be incompetent.  This went
on for years.  Years.

A doctor joining the team in 1988 noticed the problem
and reported it, to no effect.  He began collecting evidence in
1992-3.  In 1993 he contacted the Department of Health and was told
that they had known about the problem before he joined.  In June 94
he requested a review of the results; this took seven months.  It
was agreed that no more operations should be performed - but they
continued to be performed until May 1995, when a new doctor took
over operations of this type and the death rate plummeted.

An offical inquiry started in October 1997.

29 deaths, 4 survivors with brain damage out of 53 operations.
Three surgeons found guilty, including the chief executive of
the trust.  Two struck off, one suspended for three years.

The men involved knew that what they were doing was causing death.
They didn't care.  Other people knew the same.  They did nothing -
for years.  The results won't be counted as murder.

Then we have mass slaughter.  In Europe in the 20th century many
tens of millions have died in wars.  Most of these deaths were
calmly ordered by governments who fully understood what the effect
of their orders would be.

Murder on this scale is simply incomprehensible from a North American
prospective.  And keeping deaths of this type out of the murder
statistics is what makes America look like a dangerous place to live.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015