Did you notice

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Mar 20 09:23:03 PST 2001

> ----------

Well, you could try http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvintl.html
While this is on a page advocating gun ownership, the statistics cited
are from non-partisan sources.

For some breakdown of US homicides by race, try
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a39235bd43dd9.htm
once again, this is a partisan page, but the stats straight from
the US Gov.  (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/homtrnd.htm)

This suggests that the US murder rate for whites is about
3 per 100,000, vs 1.41 (total) for England/Wales

Only about 15% of murders in the US are by strangers, so
if you don't feel that your relatives and acquaintences are
particularly likely to bump you off, the murder rate you worry
about ("How likely am *I* to be killed today?") is very, very
low. Even if it's double the UK rate, doubling a very low number
gives you another very low number.

Doesn't anyone besides myself know how to use a search
engine, or check numbers before posting?

Peter Trei