[OT] kuro5hin.org || 12 Year Old Girl Commits Suicide AfterChristian Taunts.

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Mon Mar 19 07:08:46 PST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Ken Brown wrote:

[Snip; it's nice to know people know their history...]
>I strongly suspect that if they had met a half-pissed skinny bloke with
>pagan tendencies in black leather with multiple piercings, white makeup,
>and a penchant for the gloomy end of rock, they would have cut his head
>off first and done the cultural analysis afterwards.

Which would seem to get us back to my original point. This "Goth" look is as
powerful a message as any, and as likely to shock current Christians as it
would have been earlier ones, especially if you happen to be the only one
not to belong. The same goes for groups of chanting classmates and an
isolated Wicca. In both cases the message is a one of collective aggression
and certainly regularly sending such a message casts doubts on both the
sender and the message. Even if the message takes the superficial appearance
of valid religious expression.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university