Did you notice

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 08:34:28 PST 2001

Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Ken Brown wrote:
>
> > Reese wrote:
> >
> > > England serves as a fine example here;
> >
> > I'm sure it does, but of what?
> >
> > I think the murder rate in Britain is about 1/6 of what it is in the
> > USA. (I mean rate, not actual numbers, this is not a 28% paternity
> > error). And the proportion of people killed accidentally is far lower
> > here as well.  We are perhaps a fine example of finding ways to live
> > longer?
>
> If anyone cares, the interpersonal violence rate is considerably
> higher in the UK.  Recent statisics on crime in industrialised
> countries (and therefore excluding South Africa) showed Australia
> leading the world and the UK second.   America trailed far behind.

Of course - that's the point.  Brits are no less violent than USAns, no
less likely to be criminal, no more polite or neighbourly  (in fact
rather less). But we are *far* less likely to be killed or seriously
injured by our neighbours, or by the State.  And part of the reason for
that is that "normal" people don't have guns in Britain.

Ken (still really not wanting to restart the Great Permanent Floating
Internet Gun Rant)