Did you notice [UK vs US crime rates]

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Mar 19 06:56:28 PST 2001

> From: Reese[SMTP:reeza at flex.com]
> At 05:45 PM 3/16/01 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>  >
>  >In the FBI stats that came out the majority of police officers killed
> are
>  >killed with their own gun? They'd probably been better served by a
>  >stun-vest...
>  >
>  >Perhaps we should take guns away from them, then those fine officers
> would
>  >probably have lived longer.
>  >
>  >If you can't trust a weapon to a individual, how can you trust it to a
>  >group of individuals?
>
> England serves as a fine example here;
> With an armed populace and a disarmed police force :: low crime rate
> With a disarmed populace and an armed police force :: high crime rate.
>
> Read'em & weep, Phill.
>
> Reese

A recent article in the Economist points this out:
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=513031

% of people who were victim of a crime, once or more, in 1999:

Violent crime:
England & Wales: 3.5%
US: 1.9%

Car theft
England & Wales: 2.6%
US: 0.5%

Burglery (including attempts)
England & Wales: 5%
US: 3.8%

The article opens:

BRITAIN may have slipped down many world league tables over the
past few decades, but it beats all other rich countries except
Australia in one activity: crime. According to a new victimisation
survey of industrialised nations, people in England and Wales are
at greater risk than anywhere else of having a car stolen. And
apart from Australia, people who live in England and Wales are at
greater risk of being assaulted, robbed, sexually attacked and
having their homes burgled than are people in any other rich
country.
[end quote]

Now, the murder rate in the US *is* substantially higher than
Britain's, but your overall chances of getting through the day
safely are probably higher in the US.

Peter Trei