Information about Becoming A Member of Better A Millstone

BAM ChildAdvocates applyforbam at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 22:47:05 PST 2001

Dear "Joe Cypherpunk":

Thank you very much for your email and your kind words!

However, I have to stress to you that no member of Better A Millstone was
responsible for taking down BoyChat, Girl Chat, and their domain,
"ivan.net", and we have to be very careful that we are not connected with
such illegal activity.

Now, whereas we are happy that BoyChat and Girl Chat are indeed down, as a
legal organization that has a good relationship with law enforcement
agencies around the world, we can not be associated with the illegal
activities of hackers, no mater how worth of being shut down the specific
web sites are.

All we a Better A Millstone do is provide information and intelligence about
child sex predators, child pornographers, and their web sites by emails and
on our web pages...and if someone happens to read this material and then get
angry enough to take on of their web sites down, then we were simply the
messenger.

I hope that you understand!

Now, if you would like to join us in working legally to deal with the child
sex predators and child pornographers and their web sites, please read this
email and the application email that I will send to you separately.

Membership in Better A Millstone--BAM for short--is open to anyone age 18
and up who has basic Internet expertise and access and who does not have any
felony or misdemeanor convictions involving children.

To familiarize yourself with BAM and what we do, please go to BAM's main web
page at <http://www.shadow-net.com>.  Then go to the menu of BAM's other web
pages at the bottom of that page and click on them to visit them and learn
as much as you can about Better A Millstone and the information that we have
available on the Internet and what we do.

Please understand that as a member of BAM you will be helping to protect
children by spending part of your life gathering intelligence and
information about child sex predators and child pornographers who are
engaged in ingratiating themselves to innocent and unwitting children for
the purpose of sexually assaulting and photographing them by acting as "The
Internet Eyes & Ears for Law Enforcement".

You will be expected to spend a minimum of three hours a week lurking on the
Internet as a child advocate and to be proactive in going on the Internet
and gathering intelligence and information about suspected child sex
predators and child pornographers and providing same to the appropriate law
enforcement agencies (i.e., the specific law enforcement agencies within
whose jurisdictions the child sex predators and child pornographers are
operating, such as U.S. Customs for virtually ALL Internet sex crimes
involving children as well as state and local police departments where these
perpetrators are operating).

And you will be expected to not only initiate contact with these law
enforcement agencies but also to follow up with them to see that they do
indeed take your information seriously and take action.  And if you are not
satisfied that they are doing what you think they should do to protect
children, you are asked to contact other members of BAM for assistance.

Further, please understand that everyone who applies to become a volunteer
member of Better A Millstone must go to their local police or other law
enforcement agency to have their identification verified and a criminal
background check completed and submitted to Better A Millstone.  Now, if you
still wish to apply to become a member of Better A Millstone, please fill
out and return the online application which has been sent to you separately.

Once you have been accepted as a member of BAM, you will be given
instructions and information via e-mail to help you learn what to do.
And you will be provided with e-mail addresses to contact seasoned members
of BAM to help you learn how to do your work.

Once you feel confident about what you have been taught, you will be free to
apply your interests and talents to help protect children on the Internet
independent of someone telling you what you must or must not do.  But, for
your own safety as well as to uphold the principles of BAM, you will be
expected to abide by a few simple rules:

(1) Never, ever, download and save child pornography!

(2) Always write down and save the URL (i.e., Internet address) of web sites
with such material!

(3) Never, ever, pose as an adult or teenager seeking sex with a child or
child pornography!

(4) Always keep detailed records of anyone who asks this of you (i.e., their
e-mail address, IRC number, ICQ number, etc.).

After filling out and returning the On-Line Application for Better A
Millstone (which is being sent to you as a separate e-mail) and being
accepted as a member of BAM, you will receive a detailed e-mail to help you
learn the ropes so that you can be an effective Internet child advocate.

Looking forward to receiving your on-line application,

I remain,

Most sincerely yours,

Mike Echols, Founder & Executive Director, Better A Millstone, Inc.
484-B Washington Street, #220, Monterey, California 93940  U.S.A.
Toll Free Voice Mail in the U.S.:  1-800-971-7818
Voice Mail from Other Countries:  area code 831-887-3362

Better A Millstone's Main Web Page: <http://www.shadow-net.com>
Help Kids Protect Themselves: <http://www.shadow-net.com/forkids.html>