content owners vs. ISPs

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sat Mar 17 08:44:27 PST 2001

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Jim Choate wrote:

>900MHz packet (<$100/site) coupled with Plan 9 is the base you want to
>start from using current tech. It will require updating firewall software
>so that it also handles bandwidth throttling and fail-over routing.

I've looked at that, but I'm unsure about it...  the problem is that
if not enough people have it you're out of range - but if too many
people have it, you're choked for bandwidth and get interference
problems.

With a range of a few hundred feet to a few miles, routing can also
become problematic.

It would be nice though: a $100 'packet box' for each station, that
allows you to set up independent IP connections with your neighbors.
If you can get them common enough, it would be impossible to cut
someone off by cutting their ISP access -- 'cause out in the wild,
a packet is a packet is a packet, and if all the stations run IP
protocol, even if every ISP in the world rejects a packet, it could
still make its way across any continent in short hops from station
to station.

And this is not just an anti-censorship thing, either; this is
more properly a tool for 24/7 uptime for people who can't afford
t3's and can't get PacBell's attention to fix their damn line in
the first minute after it goes down. I can picture that sales
pitch appealing to a lot of home businesses who get cut off from
their DSL connection for a week at a time while PacBell pulls its
head out of its collective ass. Or Cinci Bell, or Southern Bell,
or NTT, or Deutsche Telecomm, or whoever serves their area.

I like it.  Every station an ISP.

				Bear