content owners vs. ISPs

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Mar 16 08:15:59 PST 2001

Right now, attempts to control the internet lean on ISP's and
backbone sites pretty heavily.  Most of the nodes on the internet
have exactly ONE route to the internet, and if you can get to
somebody's upstream, she's toast.

In the long run, I don't think the machinery of freedom is going
to work very well until most of the nodes on the internet have
at least three or four different routes to the internet.

One person connected to one ISP is easy to monitor, easy to
interfere with.  But if a dozen people connected to a dozen ISP's
are also all connected to each other directly, then each and
every one of them becomes much harder to interfere with.

Unfortunately, extra phone lines and nailed-up connections
cost money, and at that point they'd just start going for the
phone companies instead of the ISP's anyway.  The benefit is
that  common carrier anti-censorship laws might be a little
stronger with phone lines.

				Bear