One of Jim Bell's former hobbies.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Mar 15 15:14:40 PST 2001

At 5:29 PM -0500 3/15/01, Trei, Peter wrote:
>I was researching something entirely non-cpunkish
>(yes, it was work-related :-) and came across this
>page:
>
>http://www.multigame.com/spacewar.html
>
>Jim apparenly had/has a really cool Spacewar
>console at home, which an appreciative gamer
>rescued shortly before the JBTs moved in.

Seattle, WA (AP) -- Persecutors in the Northwest are reportedly
investigating reports that  James Dalton Bell, notorious
cyber-criminal, was also involved in a ring trading "Spacewar"
secrets and, persecutors claim, even hardware.

The revelation became public on Thursday when a report surfaced that
Spacewar technology is now being offered for sale:

"On a whim I decided to try to strike up a conversation with the
fellow offering the parts locally in hopes of just picking them up
instead of having them mailed to me. He (Jim Bell) came by where I
work with the parts and we chatted a bit.

"I arranged a visit to see this "sit down" Space War. Much to my
suprise it actually was a sit-at Vectorbeam SpaceWar! The monitor was
dead, but the rest of the machine was in excellent condition. It was
purchased by Tektronix (apparently when it was new) and kept as
amusement for the engineers for numerous years.
Jim told me he was a graduate of MIT and remembered playing "Computer
Space" on the PDP's there when he was a student, so when he happened
across the SpaceWar at a Tektronix surplus sale he picked it up. It
had then sat in his basement until I showed up."

(The remainder of this report has been classified by the persecutors.)

"We understand the Spacewar program is a classified Los Alamos
project," said Assistant State Persecutor Fobb Paris, "so this report
that Bell has been trading highly-classified Spacewar technology
demands investigation."

Paris added, "We have already issued a subpoena to the reporter who
broke the story."