WSJ: NSA Computer Upgrade

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Mar 15 07:58:37 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, David Honig wrote:

>The motivation for this is that the legals have decided
>that supporting the children is more important than
>fairness.  Its that simple; some legals will even admit it.

"Fairness" is such a slippery word.  Is it fair for a child
to have no support available?  Remember, it's not because of
anything the child did.

I think the criterion here is that the adult is more capable
of coping with the unfairness than the child, hence in a
situation where you have to be unfair to one or the other,
you favor the child's interests over the adult's.

>There are similarly motivated restrictions on how much you can deny your
>spouse when you die.

This one I don't hang with.  Your spouse is presumably an adult,
and ought to be able to cope with not getting the estate.

But that certainly doesn't stop it from being a serious shitheel
type maneuver to leave your spouse in the lurch when you go, and
since you're dead at that point you don't really have that much
of a compelling interest in the estate any more...

But anyway, this has little to do with crypto...

				Bear