Mr. Choate, an important message from Justice Scalia....

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Wed Mar 14 18:26:37 PST 2001

> But wasn't Scalia -- who made a reasonable point -- talking about the
> nomination of judges, not executive branch political appointees?
>
> -Declan

Yes. Indeed, it is the province of the Courts to interpret the Constitution
(according to some, not including Mr. Choate), not executive branch
political appointees. The very fact that we ask the executive branch these
questions is pause for thought. I was trying to uncover any pragmatic
distinction between a "political view" versus an opinion on the mechanics of
constitutional interpretation. I raised more questions than I answered.

	-Aimee