WSJ: NSA Computer Upgrade

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Wed Mar 14 17:18:40 PST 2001

i don't think they would allow classified/non-classified data to cross the
traditional divisions between siprnet and niprnet (which is one reason
employees have multiple physical computers on their desks.) plus today's
trusted computer systems are designed to control access to data (at granular
levels including network, workstation, individual, application, etc.) on top
of all of that physical and logical stuff, i'm sure information is still
generally compartmentalized anyway.  it simply sounds like a standard non
classified communications (email) capability upgrade.

though i do agree with you that people are probably the number one leak as
you're saying.  in fact all opsec/infosec assessments consider 'insider'
threats the greatest problem to deal with (citibank 1995 is an excellent
example of this.)

phillip