Vox Populi & Governments

Greg Broiles gbroiles at netbox.com
Tue Mar 13 10:47:34 PST 2001

At 09:09 AM 3/13/2001 -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>Julf was forced to roll over to the scientologists.
>
>Countless ISP's who've allowed "anonymous" customers to put up web sites
>have been forced to roll over when some LEA put kid porn up on their
>servers.

These examples illustrate that perfection eludes us - but they don't mean
that it's not possible for more people to have more freedom more often,
especially if they're motivated to seek it. Julf did a lot of good for a
lot of people before he shut down, so I think penet.fi belongs in the
history books as a net victory for the forces of freedom.

There are still places where you can buy the medicines and chemicals you
believe you need to maintain optimum health without getting permission from
a nanny-doctor-HMO. There are still places where you can buy violence tools
to protect yourself from people who intend harm to you or your family or
your property. There are still places where you can buy and sell books and
talk with others without fear of punishment. There are still places where
you can worship (or not) as you choose without interference. There are
still places you can live where your neighbors aren't in a hurry to
supervise or surveil you or decide where you can hang up your laundry.

No, you can't stand naked in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge high on
PCP proselytizing for a child-porn church while waving a full-auto firearm.
Well, not without interference by others. And most of us don't really want
that anyway (except when we're told we can't have it). You can still get a
lot done and have a pretty good life despite the unavailability of perfect
freedom (or anything else perfect, for that matter.)

And people are building things (like GNU/Linux and the *BSD's and PGP/GPG,
Freenet, and Mojo Nation -- and remailers, almost 10 years ago now) that do
incrementally increase the effective available freedom in the world -
again, they all fall short of perfection, but that's not so bad. We're
moving closer.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at netbox.com
"Organized crime is the price we pay for organization." -- Raymond Chandler