DCSB: (One more time!) Steven Levy; How the Crypto Rebels Won

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Mar 13 06:35:30 PST 2001

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties
- -- while it lasts, anyway... --RAH]

          The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                        Presents
         (Again, as we were snowed out in March...)
                       Steven Levy,
                          Author,
             Senior Editor, _Newsweek_ Magazine

                "How the Crypto Rebels Won"

                 Tuesday, April 3rd, 2000
                         12 - 2 PM
              The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                One Federal Street, Boston, MA

How a group of outsiders envisioned a need for wide-spread
cryptography and then took on two daunting missions: providing
unprecedented tools to make this happen, and fighting the government
for the right to distribute the tools.

Steven Levy is a senior editor at Newsweek and author of CRYPTO: HOW
THE CODE REBELS BEAT THE GOVERNMENT, SAVING PRIVACY IN THE DIGITAL
AGE. He is also author of four other books including HACKERS,
ARTIFICIAL LIFE, INSANELY GREAT, and THE UNICORN'S SECRET, and have
contributed to many other publications.

[NOTE: Because of the cancellation of this presentation in March due
to a blizzard, we have rescheduled it to April 3rd. The newly revised
schedule for future DCSB talks is included below, and all
reservations for the snowed-out March meeting will be honored.

The last time a meeting was cancelled for snow was for former NSA
Counsel Stewart Baker's April Fool's day talk a few years ago on
roughly same topic. Of course, as the old John Birch pamphlet used to
howl, "None Dare Call It Conspiracy"... ;-) --RAH]

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, April 3rd, 2000, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch
of the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for
lunch is $35.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware
if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed
its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers
or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance,
we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds
you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, March 31st, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will have to be sent back. If you sent us a check for the cancelled
March meeting, we still have it, and you were bcc'd with an asterisk
(*) next to your name. If you were bcc'd *without* an asterisk, we
have your reservation, but no check. You have time to do that, now...

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $35.00. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

May 1st  Scott Moskowitz  Watermarking and Bluespike
TBA      Jean Camp        Trust and Digital Commerce

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.