Consensus? We don't need no stinkin' consensus...

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Mon Mar 12 16:43:55 PST 2001

Resentment? I'm not resentful. I'm engulfed in a melange of shock, horror,
and hillarity. The insanity of man against man, and the hoops they'll jump
through to get satisfaction. After all, it's not entertainment but
satisfaction that is what drives mankind.

What consensus might that be? The 'crypto-anarchy' good-old-boy consensus?
The Freidman'esk "making money justifies all wrongs" contingent? The "It's
wrong they regulate any of my actions, but I'm going to regulate yours."?
team. Or perhaps "I'm too damn lazy to start my own node and take the heat
but I'll sure bitch and whine when others don't do as I say" clan?

There is no authority on 'the' list because there are 8 lists that share a
common backbone (by consensus of the operators, not users, I might add).
The only parties who have authority to impose any sort of list behaviour
regulations are the specific operators of those mail reflectors. We have
several that limit what goes out to their subscribers, I don't believe we
have any that limit what their subscribers may submit. However, that is
clearly within the scope of the current agreement. Start a list and filter
both ends. A 2-way list if you will ;)

I would think that a group so sophisticated as you claim to be, and as
motivated by money would recognize the simple dicta "Money speaks". What
you boys are pissed off 'bout is that it's my money doin' the speakin' and
it ain't what ya expected.

The majority of subscribers don't ever post, they sit there and get the
occassional techie item and sit about laughing their asses off. I'm glad
they find joy and humor in this. It is after all hilarious at times.

Do what you will, start your own list, filter me, start another node, keep
bitching. Whatever. If I have something to say I'm going to say it. I'll
do my best to keep it short and too the point. I don't make any promise it
will be related to any point you might have however.

After all, how serious can you take somebody who is more concerned about
the word 'whore' and 'police' in the same sentence than the fact that the
sentence is even being considered at all? Pull your head out of your ass.
If western civilization is going to tumble down because of my .sig then
it's already dead.

Duh.

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Trei, Peter wrote:

> Jim is unusual in that his resentment is also directed towards the consensus
> position on how people should behave on the list (the closest thing to a
> 'authority' which exists in cypherpunks).

      Legislators and Judges are the pimps of modern American society.
      Police, lawyers, and reporters are their whores. The people are
      the 'John'. Democracy is dead.

                                   Copyright 2001 All Rights Reserved

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com