DoJ subpoena guidelines for journalists | Confidential source agreements

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Mar 12 08:01:14 PST 2001

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 07:45:44AM -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

> And what was your first clue? I'm speaking of the Constitution as it was
> intended. You're as stupid as Declan (of course this should surprise
> nobody since both of you are protecting the status quo). Like I've said

Aimee, that's high praise, you know. :)

I believe that as a matter of principle, there is no difference between
what I do in my articles and what John Young does on cryptome.org. Both
of us *should* be treated by the law as professional journalists.

However, I also recognize that the law will likely not see things that
way, at least not yet.

-Declan