Can I reproduce out of print books?

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Sun Mar 11 14:44:17 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, A. Melon wrote:

> Does anyone know the law regarding duplication of out of print
> books/other works?
>
> E.g. Stephen King withdrew his book 'Rage' (support your neighborhood
> second-hand bookstore) about a schoolkid who holds his class hostage
> at gunpoint, shortly after the Littleton shootings.  King _does not_
> want this book to be available to the public until the mess blows over.
>
> If I distributed this book in electronic format for free, I would not
> be costing him a single penny.  Would I still be violating the DCMA
> and which other laws would I violate?
>
> Also, what if I claimed that books like King's were in some way
> responsible for the current spate of shootings?  Would I be able to
> reproduce the book (so my quotes can be judged in the context of a whole
> work) in order to campaign against it?  Or can he legally suppress his
> own works?

You would still be in violation of the law.

Censorship by copyight is not new.  It has been going on for quite a
while.  (Everything from the Scientologists trying to prevent leaks of
their pay-per-view religion to companies that produced films hyping
products that turned out to be a danger to the general public. (Like the
paint company that was pushing a paint mixed with DDT in incredibly high
doses.))

I expect to see alot more copyright censorship in the coming years.  In
fact, I expect that with the direction the feds are taking, all forms of
censorship will have copyright violations attached for extra jail time
added.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."