Can I reproduce out of print books?

A. Melon juicy at melontraffickers.com
Sun Mar 11 06:55:32 PST 2001

Does anyone know the law regarding duplication of out of print
books/other works?

E.g. Stephen King withdrew his book 'Rage' (support your neighborhood
second-hand bookstore) about a schoolkid who holds his class hostage
at gunpoint, shortly after the Littleton shootings.  King _does not_
want this book to be available to the public until the mess blows over.

If I distributed this book in electronic format for free, I would not
be costing him a single penny.  Would I still be violating the DCMA
and which other laws would I violate?

Also, what if I claimed that books like King's were in some way
responsible for the current spate of shootings?  Would I be able to
reproduce the book (so my quotes can be judged in the context of a whole
work) in order to campaign against it?  Or can he legally suppress his
own works?

Publius.