DoJ subpoena guidelines for journalists

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sat Mar 10 06:41:08 PST 2001

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Again, Jim is habitually confused. The regulations he believes are

Really? Where is it then?

                                 Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The regulations draw a distinction that is not recognized in 'equal under
the law'.

A democracy (at least this one) is SUPPOSED to provide equal protection
under the law. The referenced regulations don't do that. They draw a
distinction based on a COMMERCIAL yardstick and that is most certainly
unconstitutional. There is a reason that the Constitution doesn't mention
business except in one clause - IT ISN'T IMPORTANT TO A WELL ORDERED
DEMOCRACY.

Some Jefferson quotes:

The Press -

No Government outght to be without censors; and when the press is free, no
one ever will. Nature has given to man no other means of sifting out the
truth either in religion, law, or politics. I think it as honorable to the
government neither to know nor notice sycophants or censors as it would be
indignified and criminal to pampter the former and persecute the latter.

Newspapers -

At a very early period in my life I determined never to put a sentence in
any newspaper. I have religiously adhered to the resolution through my
life and have great reason to be content with it. Were I to undertake to
answer the calumnies of the newspapers it would be more than all my time
and twenty aids could effect. For, while I should be answering one, twenty
new ones would be invented. I have thought it better to trust to the
justice of my countrymen that they would judge me by what they see of my
conduct on the stage where they have placed me.

'calumnies' means slander.

        Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.

                                                       Locke

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com