DoJ subpoena guidelines for journalists

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Mar 9 14:43:59 PST 2001

David's comments in his response are on-target.

In this context, the only definition that seems to matter is what the DOJ
believes to be a "member of the news media." In other words, if they say
you're not, you likely would shoulder the burden to prove that you are.

Even if they acknowledge you are a journalist, the DOJ clearly does not
feel bound to follow its own regulations.

-Declan