DoJ subpoena guidelines for journalists

David Akin dakin at nationalpost.com
Fri Mar 9 13:25:11 PST 2001

Declan, as you may know, has had a helluva time getting Official Washington
to recognize him and other online news outlets as 'real' media, worthy of
the same media treatment and access to officials given to traditional print
and broadcast reporters. There are no qualifications you need and, in the US
and Canada, no licensing bureau or anything like that (thank god). If you
want to report on something, you just show up, call yourself a reporter and
see what the guy at the door says. At places like the White House, they'll
want to see some proof that you work for an outlet that they recognize as
'real news'. The definition held by the White House gatekeepers is probably
pretty restrictive. Go to the local stamp club exhibition, say you're a
reporter, and they won't care if/when you've ever written something. They're
just glad to have the interest.

So bottom line: You can call yourself a reporter when you act like one. Some
people think you gotta act like Sam Donaldson; others think you can act like
Hunter S. Thompson. Better yet, more people think you can like Kevin Poulsen
. . .

David Akin / Senior technology reporter
National Post / http://www.nationalpost.com
300-1450 Don Mills Road, Don Mills, Ontario
CANADA / M3B 3R5
VOX: 416.383.2372 FAX: 416.383.2443
dakin at nationalpost.com / AIM: DavidAkin

Click to add my contact info to your organizer:
http://my.infotriever.com/DavidAkin