test case for HavenCo?

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Thu Mar 8 08:18:12 PST 2001

I'd like to set up a server at HavenCo personally to demonstrate our resistance
to foreign aggression.  These are the characteristics I'm looking for:

1) Something generally supported by individuals, especially network admins,
in the US and UK

2) Static content, relatively small, so as not to use more than, say, 256kbps
of bandwidth -- we've got 20-50mbps available, but since I'm paying for this
server out of my own pocket, I'd rather not pay excess bandwidth charges.

3) Easily explained to the average reporter, and something which the press
will generally support

4) Minimal support cost to me, if it's a service

5) Minimal need to interface with outside systems (no banking, etc.)

6) Interesting; pure piracy isn't really all that interesting, US exported
crypto would have been interesting back in the days of ITAR, but is
boring now.

Things I've thought of so far:

1) remailer: spam issues make it difficult to due a really good remailer, and
there are plenty already, but we're running one (on a shared box, so we'll
set up a new one later)

2) OpenNap: the fairtunes.com guy seems to be doing this.

3) DeCSS: probably good, although it seems to not provoke a terribly big
response from "The Enemy".  I'd be up for hosting an active server which
returned keys per DVD, so it's a bit more threatening than just static
decss code.

4) Info on circumvention of some major copyright system, like satellite tv
(this is kind of boring, and blatant piracy doesn't have much redeeming
social value.

I'd be interested in any other suggestions.

Ryan Lackey 				ryan at havenco.com
CTO, HavenCo Ltd.
the free world just milliseconds away	www.havenco.com