MAIL (SPAM) FILTERING ON CYPHERPUNKS

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Thu Mar 8 08:23:10 PST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 11:42:26PM -0000, Stuart Stein wrote:
> Anyone got any information good ways to set up filters for this list, setting
> up a filter on the from address is giving me a huge list of addresses to block
> and I am constantly having to add addresses to it. There has to be a more
> effiecent way of doing it.

Filtering the From: line won't work- the list keeps getting added
to new "macketing lists" and web sites.

Filtering cypherpunks mail that originates at toad.com gets a lot of
the spam.  But, after that was identified as a way to avoid the
spam, the other CDRs started getting added to the spam lists.  Hmm.
So filtering it out only does so much; and there are still
non-spam posts that are sent through toad.

I've set up a CDR which filters out posts from non-subscribers
to any CDR.  Posts from non-subscribers (like you) are forwarded
to the list if they're not spam.

% echo "info cypherpunks" | mail majordomo at lne.com

> This is the only list I am subscribed to that i get
> spammed on.

You're fortunate!

A third option is to run a program that recognizes spam
contents.  I've written one: www.lne.com/ericm/spammaster.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5