Trampling on the theory of path dependence

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Mar 6 13:07:42 PST 2001

At 3:43 PM -0500 3/6/01, JayHolovacs wrote:
>While I find it difficult to discount the examples of path dependence so
>glibly, this begs the question.
>
>Even if path dependence occurs, there is no reason why the government (or
>any other body) is in a significantly better position to pick the winners
>and losers than the market is. When a standard evolves, it is useful that
>the government keep one party from locking out others from access to the
>standard, but not determining what the standard should be.

Needless to say, many of us believe it is no business whatsoever of
the government to "keep one party from locking out others from access
to the standard."

If I am developing my Superaptical Frammalobber, it is no business of
the government to enter my premises and/or demand that I reveal its
secrets so that others may jump in.

In fact, the government supports bother "trade secrets" _and_ patents.

And, more generally, many of us do not even support "obvious"
applications of the Sherman Antitrust Law.

Haloid, later Xerox, was not required to help others match its
undeniable standard.

Likewise, and more recently, Intel is not compelled to share its
design tricks, or its bus specifications, with other chip companies.

I realized this post will not reach Cyberia-L or fight-censorship. I
wish this promiscuous cross-posting would cease.

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns