Opus Dei and the FBI

drevil at sidereal.kz drevil at sidereal.kz
Sun Mar 4 00:06:47 PST 2001

Not to get conspiratorial here, but this is an interesting subject
which I don't think has been explored very much.

Background: Opus Dei ("God's Work") is a Catholic order (or cult, as
its detractors would call it) which emphasizes strict obedience of its
members, close supervision of many aspects of its members' lives, and
a certain degree of secretiveness about its own activities.

It is known that FBI Director Louis Freeh is a member of Opus Dei, and
he sends one of his sons to an Opus Dei school.

Interestingly, former agent Robert Hanssen was also an Opus Dei
member.  This is peculiar because Opus Dei is stridently
anti-communist, and yet Hanssen was allegedly a spy for the KGB, who
allegedly did significant harm to American national security,
including causing the deaths of two American agents in the KGB.

It's widely known that there is a significantly disproportionate
number of Mormons in the FBI, but not much is known about how much
influence Opus Dei might have at the FBI.  Like Opus Dei, the Mormon
Church supervises its members lives closely, and is secretive about
its own activities.

Take a look at: http://www.mond.at/opus.dei/opus.dei.uo.faq.html for
some unofficial, and probably biased, information about Opus Dei.
Also take a look at their official website, www.opusdei.org, to get
the official story, which is probably also biased.  Then draw your own
conclusions and ask your own questions.

I'm just bringing this up in this forum to see if anyone else has any
insight or information on this topic.  I've tried to keep my comments
balanced and objective; I'm not trying to suggest some kind of Opus Dei
conspiracy to take over the FBI or anything else beyond the accepted
facts I referred to above.  I'm really just wondering if anyone else
has some more information about this topic.