_Godwin_ on Godwin

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Mar 3 21:18:21 PST 2001

     --
At 07:51 PM 3/1/2001 -0600, Aimee Farr wrote:
 >  the need to remember the gravity of what the Nazis did.

But those invoking Godwin's law seldom do so because the gravity of Nazi
crimes is being depreciated by some comparison.

Rather their objection is that because the nazi crimes were uniquely
wicked, and X is not uniquely wicked, a comparison of nazis with X does not
apply -- in other words that the evil of the nazis was unique, so we need
learn no lessons from history.

Of course the evil of the nazis was far from unique, it was merely one of
the larger of many similar twentieth century crimes -- the armenians, the
kulaks, and so on and so forth.

The evil of the nazis is not unique.  Over and over again the same causes
led to the same consequences, and the only way we can stop it from
happening again and again is to pay attention.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      8rIOv31R23cArTvRP+H4laJZ238RGzPRQ2IRgEtB
      4zcsqJRIcD4yw6m1CUsBQdve3IYrCPh0H5rin15wo