Filtering CDR open

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Mar 3 10:08:07 PST 2001

At 8:20 AM -0800 3/3/01, Eric Murray wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 01:15:25AM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>  FYI I'm subscribed to cypherpunks from one address; I post to it
>>  from a second; my From: line is a third. I sometimes use a fourth address
>  > to post.
>So far I've added 39 addresses that way, 5 of which appear to be remailers.
>Of the rest, roughly half are people who're cross-posting from other lists
>like coderpunks or cryptography (or both), and the rest are
>people who're posting from alternate addresses.
>
>There's 2-3 spam emails for every list email.   Previously I'd been
>filtering most of the spam.  I had no idea it'd gotten this bad.

By the way, I've been subscribed to cypherpunks at lne.com for the past
week or so. It's been a joy not to see the spam and junk and "can u
help me mak bombz?" noise.

(I was filtering a lot of this junk out by simply filtering all
cypherpunks at toad.com posts into a special folder and then
occasionally looking for posts by people I recognized, as sometimes
even _good_ posters were posting to the toad.com address (usually in
a reply-to-all mode, one assumes). But a lot of junk was still
getting through.)

Latency from when I post to lne.com to when I get my own message back
is usually a couple of minutes. I have no idea what it is to other
nodes. Probably not much longer.

However, I see the address in my Reply-to-all is
"cypherpunks at slack.lne.com". This is needlessly confusing, even if
slack.lne.com resolves to lne.com.

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns