eSurvellance via cable modem?

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Sat Mar 3 09:35:04 PST 2001

At 09:30 PM 3/2/01 -0600, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>Doing a little research to be up to speed on cable...
>PacketCable is interesting, as it talks about online gaming, telephony,
>etc... but check out this part of the spec.
>

>http://www.packetcable.com/specs/pkt-sp-esp-I01-991229.pdf

Nothing really surprising here.  This spec, as I understand it, applies
only to VoIP connections established through the service provider's Call
Management System (their equivalent of a PBX).  If users employ their own
SW to do call placement it doesn't come under the spec.  (Of course, that
means you also don't get the improved latency characteristics offered by
the ISP for their VoIP terminated calls).

steve