Chemical of the Week -- Ozone

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Mar 1 19:15:00 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 08:32:16PM -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
> http://www.scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/ozone/ozone.html

	Interesting!

	I just installed an Ozone generator on our 30,000 gallon in-ground
pool.  The Ozone generator (a unit based on high-vacuum UV lamps rather than
the electric discharge arc mentioned in the article) in combination with a
silver/copper ion injector should virtually eliminate our use of halogen
oxidizers (chlorine shock) and halogen sanitizers (bromine).

	Ozone is one of those schizophrenic substances.  In the upper
atmosphere it's vital to all life on the planet.  At ground level it's
a major contributor to smog.  In water treatment, it's just now coming
into it's own as beating the bejesus out of chlorine in sanitizing
water (it kills crytpo-sporidium (sp?) where chlorine is ineffective)
and it's a way for pool owners to eliminate use of ozone destroying
halogens.

	Almost surreal.  Ozone helps eliminate ozone destroyers and
is an incredible oxidizer (well, duh!) and sanitiser and helps eliminate
halogen polution while it's a smog contributor itself.  Life's LITTLE
ironies.  :-)

> --
>     ____________________________________________________________________
>
>            Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
>            smaller group must first understand it.
>
>                                            "Stranger Suns"
>                                            George Zebrowski
>
>        The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
>        Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com
>        www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/