Phoning Home

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Thu Jun 28 10:28:56 PDT 2001

> The Ztrace software is probably much the same as the Computrace
> software from Absolute Software located in Vancouver BC.  The
> Computrace software was discussed on this list a number of years
> ago, before the call home thru the Net feature was added.

I think when writing a Master Boot Record ( it's been 10 years since I
wrote tools that did this ) you can leave as much space as you want
completely uncomitted anywhere on the drive. This space should still be
accessible by logical block address on the device. What could get fairly
interesting is that drives typically reserve some sectors on each track
for replacement use should one of the logical sectors on the track go
bad. Western Digital http://www.wdc.com offers utilities that manage
their drives, apparently even the recent models. What I wonder is are
the proprietary APIs published or would the tools have to be reverse
engineered? This would allow access to substantial storage that would
not show up using that standard ATA calls.

In the end though, that storage must be accessed from code in the BIOS
or the booted OS so wiping those will probably do the job.

Seems like whether you're talking about asset recovery or Napster and
copyright the only solutions are men with briefcases and guns or
proprietary Si. SW is too easily manipulated.

Regards,
Mike