Cyborg deployment in Scotland

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Thu Jun 28 00:34:25 PDT 2001

Excerpt:

#    ...the extension of Restriction of Liberty Orders...
#
#    There are also plans to use the orders as a condition of a
#    probation order or a drug treatment and testing order...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,10-2001221674,00.html
#
#    THURSDAY JUNE 28 2001
#
#    All sheriff courts to have power to tag offenders
#
#    BY GILLIAN HARRIS, SCOTLAND CORRESPONDENT
#
#    POLITICIANS and community leaders gave a cautious welcome
#    yesterday to plans to increase the use of electronic tagging
#    of offenders.
#
#    Every sheriff court in Scotland is to be given the option of
#    electronically monitoring offenders under a scheme announced
#    by the Scottish Executive. Iain Gray, the Deputy Justice Minister,
#    unveiled details of the move during a visit to General Security
#    Services Corporation Europe in East Kilbride.
#
#    Pilot schemes are already under way in Hamilton, Aberdeen and
#    Peterhead and the firm has the contract to provide the electronic
#    monitoring service to Hamilton Sheriff Court.
#
#    Mr Gray said 418 offenders had been electronically tagged since
#    the pilot scheme was launched in August 1998. He described the
#    initiative, which predominantly sees offenders limited to their
#    own home for up to 12 hours a day, as a success that should be
#    extended throughout Scotland.
#
#    Donald Dickie, a senior manager with the community safety
#    organisation Safeguarding Communities Reducing Offending, welcomed
#    the move as an alternative to custody. He said that the prison
#    population in Scotland was too high and that not all offenders
#    need to be locked up.
#
#    Mr Dickie also welcomed moves to use tagging for inmates released
#    from prison on licence and under supervision. He said: "It has
#    the potential to assist in helping people to lead stable lives."
#
#    Roseanna Cunningham, the SNP's Shadow Justice Minister, gave
#    the announcement a muted welcome but expressed concerns that
#    no timescale had been given. She said: "I cautiously welcome
#    the announcement today by the Deputy Justice Minister that
#    Restriction of Liberty Orders will play a greater role in the
#    criminal justice system.
#
#    "It is important, however, that these orders are used as a direct
#    alternative to custody as it makes a great deal of sense both
#    in terms of justice and in terms of cost."
#
#    Phil Gallie, the Scottish Conservatives' justice spokesman, said
#    tagging should be used as an additional tool in the fight against
#    crime. He said: "Electronic tagging must not be an instrument
#    with which the Scottish Executive can empty our prisons. I have
#    always been an advocate for electronic tagging, however I never
#    envisaged that this would provide an easy option for criminals.
#
#    "At all times our courts must ensure that punishment and
#    deterrence along with protection of the public stands as the
#    highest priority."
#
#    Mr Gray said the extension of Restriction of Liberty Orders,
#    under which offenders are fitted with electronic transmitters
#    so monitoring authorities can keep track of their movements,
#    would take place once a competitive tendering exercise has been
#    completed.
#
#    There are also plans to use the orders as a condition of a
#    probation order or a drug treatment and testing order and for
#    monitoring of prisoners released on licence under supervision
#    such as sex offenders.

----

Occasional double emails: I'll be off PSINet within a week.