DCMA: You must use Ford Gas in Ford Cars or Else We Repo The Car

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 27 21:14:05 PDT 2001

At 07:59 PM 6/27/01 -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
>>Well, manufacturers certainly behave this egregiously today; Ross
>>Anderson's new book (I believe it was) tells of great things like
>>printers checking the model of toner catridge installed, and
>>automatically degrading the image if a 3rd-party cartridge is
>>being used.
>

>Its only egregiously if the manufacturer fails to inform the prospective
>purchaser that performance is only guaranteed with OEM cartridges.

Agreed; contract law always applies.  In fact, there may well be
engineering reasons for doing certain things only with known
cartridges.  At the same time, when you buy a device, you expect
it to interoperate as best it can.   The reputation of a company
making gear which doesn't, rightfully suffers.

Because
>consumers will base buying decisions on a dollar the sellers have resorted
>to pricing the printers so that they make their money on the supplies.

Tell me about it!  Still, that's what the market has evolved.  Detroit
could make cars that lasted 200,000 miles (reliably; the spec calls
for 100,000), but most folks wouldn't pay the extra cost.  Sometimes
the 'give the razors for free, sell the blades' bizplan is the optimal.

>valid model to me.  (Steve, who retrofit his Epson Color 740 for continuous
>ink supply and never has to purchase or refill a cartridge on the printer
>again.)

Um, have you put plans online?

dh