DCMA: You must use Ford Gas in Ford Cars or Else We Repo The Car

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Wed Jun 27 19:59:31 PDT 2001

At 12:30 AM 6/28/2001 +0000, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>In article <3B3A6926.89042516 at army-of-one.org>,
>John Doe #N  <jd at army-of-one.org> wrote:
> >[1] An OEM may not be always be able to void a warrantee for objectively
> >bogus reasons,
> >e.g., a car manufacturer probably couldn't get away with dropping a
> >drive-train warrantee
> >because you used generic oil that fullfilled published specs.
>
>Well, manufacturers certainly behave this egregiously today; Ross
>Anderson's new book (I believe it was) tells of great things like
>printers checking the model of toner catridge installed, and
>automatically degrading the image if a 3rd-party cartridge is
>being used.

Its only egregiously if the manufacturer fails to inform the prospective
purchaser that performance is only guaranteed with OEM cartridges.  Because
consumers will base buying decisions on a dollar the sellers have resorted
to pricing the printers so that they make their money on the supplies.  A
valid model to me.  (Steve, who retrofit his Epson Color 740 for continuous
ink supply and never has to purchase or refill a cartridge on the printer
again.)

steve