ANGELIC IDEA... BALEA

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Mon Jun 25 09:22:32 PDT 2001

>Boy, that makes me feel comfortable.
>

> S a n d y

http://www.ibia.org/newslett.htm
Guest Column:
The Promise and the Pitfalls of the Biometric ASP Model
by Joseph J. Atick, Ph.D.

"....The question of who owns the biometric templates needs to be addressed
by the BASPs early on. Given the choice, a BASP would naturally want to own
and control that data, as ultimately this may be its most valuable asset.

However, the desire of the BASPs to own the data will not go unchallenged.
Enterprises tend to be wary of losing control and very reluctant to hand
over their customers data to a third party. The privacy concerns of the
consumer and the associated liability will be considerations that will
bolster an enterprises reluctance to relinquish control.

One option for a BASP could be to reach the end-user directly and build a
database of biometric templates. However, this requires offering a clear
value proposition to consumers to entice them to enroll their templates and
this may be a costly process."

[...]

*paranoid thoughts* SHORT TITLE: This title may be cited as the `Biometrics
Assistance for Law Enforcement Act'. (At least the biometrics industry is
taking the matter seriously: http://www.ibia.org/privacy.htm )

~Aimee

PS: I'm looking for surveillance and biometrics "codes of practice." If your
organization has something they might be willing to share that could be
relevant.... :) I'm not looking for consent-based "privacy policies."