The Art of Submarine Warfare

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Fri Jun 22 13:50:14 PDT 2001

At 01:22 PM 6/22/2001 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>      Listen to it again -- doesn't she say "I'm recording this"??

Yes, she does - but the recorder would either have been on her person (in
which case it would have been taken from her before she was sitting in the
back of the police car), or in her car.

In either case, it wouldn't have been in a good position to get a nice
clear audio recording of the final part where the two cops stand on the
roadside and talk about whether or not they can seize her reading material
as evidence on the obstructing justice charge.

The only way you're going to get nice clear audio like that is if the cop
has a lapel mike with a wireless transmitter, and they're pretty common
among cops now, especially among highway patrol/state troopers, who make a
lot of traffic stops and DUI stops (where they can usually control
positioning of their car/camera vis-a-vis the suspect and their car), which
are ripe for automated evidence recording from a dash-mounted video camera
+ short-range radio transmitter/mike combination. City cops spend more of
their time farther away from their cars, in buildings, etc - so city police
departments usually put A/V equipment in  special DUI task force cars
instead of in every car.

It's also not uncommon for cops who want their own recording, or for less
well-funded departments, to use an old-fashioned microcassette recorder on
the cop's duty belt or in a chest pocket where the built-in mic can get
pretty good audio.

I'm very confident that the video is from the trooper's own car - because
of the positioning, because of the "VSP", because you can see the push bar
on the cop car's front bumper at the bottom of the frame, and because I'm
really skeptical that someone else with a video camera would be able to get
close enough to get that shot without being run off by the cops, unless
they used a strong zoom lens, which are hard to keep stable - even on a
tripod - unless you've got really nice + heavy equipment. Besides, assuming
that's true, where's the cop car? We can tell it's behind the woman's car,
because you can see its flashing lights reflected on the troopers' uniforms
and on the street signs - so it's near the camera. If the car is in between
the camera and the woman's car, why didn't we see it or its lights? Or if
the camera is in between the cop car and the woman's car, why didn't the
cops see the camera during the encounter .. especially given that the
camera's not on the ground hidden in (apparently) a scrap of roadside
trash, or else we'd see a really different perspective.

Ok, maybe someone set up thousands of dollars of nice video equipment in a
duck blind or something and then hid across the street with a parabolic
mike to get the audio .. because they knew this was going to happen?

Occam's Razor says this recording was made by the cops.

Not that the identity of the party making the recording diminishes the
constitutional issues here about unreasonable search & seizure, right to
remain silent, right to freely read & associate & travel, etc., under both
the US and VA constitutions.

On the other hand, if you're driving you can be asked to produce a drivers'
license, and cops can ask you to identify yourself if you're out in public
- but they must accept your oral self-report regarding your identity, and
can't arrest you for not carrying "your papers", unless you're in a class
of persons who must carry their papers, like some non-citizens and people
who are driving. If this was meant to be some sort of test case or
demonstration of police misconduct, it gets off to a bad start that way - I
don't know if everything that followed is justifiable under VA law, but
they weren't out of line (in a non-Choate universe, anyway) asking for her
drivers' license if they saw her driving that car. I didn't see anything
that looked to me like obstructing an officer or assaulting an officer.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"Organized crime is the price we pay for organization." -- Raymond Chandler