Slashdot | @Home Cuts Newsgroups Due to DMCA Complaints

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Fri Jun 22 12:03:59 PDT 2001

At 07:52 AM 6/22/2001 -0700, David Honig wrote:
>At 08:36 PM 6/21/01 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> >http://slashdot.org/yro/01/06/22/006203.shtml
>
>                 Due to violations of the DMCA (Digital
>           Millennium Copyright Act) the Usenet newsgroups
>           listed below are being discontinued from the
>           Excite at Home news feed.

I don't understand how DMCA comes into play for content already ripped by
someone else.

>Does @Home also filter & grab NNTP requests to servers they
>don't control, like some other ISP is filtering & grabbing SMTP?

I don't think so, but have never checked.

It seems that one ploy the digital video posters could use is to select a
popular, innocuous, news group, and add their content.  @Home would then be
forced to either filter binaries from that group or take it offline,
offending a lot of innocent users.

steve