Solaris Opera

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Jun 21 13:30:39 PDT 2001

> Jim Windle[SMTP:jim_windle at eudoramail.com] wrote:
>
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:44:06   Trei, Peter wrote:
>
> >.... and here I was thinking that someone (perhaps Glass?) had written an
>
> >opera based on Lem's book....
> >
> There is a Russian movie of "Solaris" which is weird but interesting.  An
> opera though, that definitely sounds like Philip Glass.  After writing
> "Nixon
> in China" and "The Death of Klinghoffer" maybe someone could interest
> John Adams in the Jim Bell trial.
>
> Jim Windle

Andrei Tartovsky directed Solaris. He's one of my favorite directors - twice
I've
accidentally flipped to TV onto subtitled Russian movies partway through,
gotten
fascinated by the film, only to later find that it was by Tartovsky (Andrei
Rublyov,
Ivan's Childhood). I also strongly reccomend Solaris and especially Stalker.

Tartovsky's not for everyone though. Things happen slowly. Tartovsky's films
make '2001' seem like 'Raders of the lost ark'.

Peter Trei