Steele's brain on intelligence

a3495 at cotse.com a3495 at cotse.com
Thu Jun 21 11:59:56 PDT 2001

Greg Newby wrote:

> In case it's not already obvious, Steele has a clue.
> I heard him speak at H2K last year.  He's either the world's
> greatest liar, or has a tremendous background and authority
> on how the goverment handles secret and subversive activities.

I'd definitely put my money on the latter--he has excellent sources and
knows a lot of tremendously cool people. For example, you might be
interested in the following book by a man who used to be on the Church
Committee who spoke at Steele's conference a couple of months ago. Serious
analysis by a brilliant thinker and a real pro. Worth a look!

Reshaping National Intelligence for an Age of Information

Gregory F. Treverton

Description
Government intelligence today has many targets, numerous consumers - not
all of whom are American or in the government - and too much information,
most of which is not owned by the US government and of widely varying
reliability. In this bold and penetrating study, Gregory Treverton, former
Vice Chair of the National Intelligence Council and Senate investigator,
offers his insider's views on how intelligence gathering and analysis must
change. He suggests why intelligence needs to be both contrarian, leaning
against the conventional wisdom, and attentive to the longer term, leaning
against the growing shorter time horizons of Washington policy makers. He
urges that the solving of intelligence puzzles tap expertise outside
government - in the academy, think tanks, and Wall Street - to make these
parties colleagues and co-consumers of intelligence, befitting the changed
role of government from doer to convener, mediator, and coalition-builder.

Chapter Contents
1. The imperative of reshaping; 2. The world of intelligence beyond 2010;
3. The militarization of intelligence; 4. Designated readers: the open
source revolution; 5. Spying, looking and catching criminals; 6. The
intelligence of policy; 7. A reshaped intelligence.

Price: GBP 24.95
ISBN: 052158096X

http://uk.cambridge.org/politics/catalogue/052158096X/default.htm