eBay: Burn DVD movies onto CD?

Lars Gaarden larsg at trustix.com
Thu Jun 21 05:36:35 PDT 2001

Riad S. Wahby wrote:

> I'm not agreeing with the DMCA, or with the judge's decision regarding
> DeCSS.  Neither are palatable, to say the least.  The original
> question was "can this be done legally."  The answer is: if someone
> paid to develop a licensed implementation of the DVD standard, yes.  I
> don't know of any commercial software that will read the data from the
> DVD and spit out the raw data, encrypted or not, for writing to a CD.
> The DVD CCA would never license such a piece of software---its use is
> too clearly geared towards backup or, as they see it, piracy.

The DVDCCA license requires that DVD equipment never allow access to
the raw digital data.
http://www.dvdcca.org/data/css/css_proc_spec11.pdf

It is also quite evident that the MPAA was planning to use CSS as a
'hook' to force DVD player/software/equipment manufacturers to sign
this license. Essentially creating a licensing regime protected by
law.
http://www.wipo.org/eng/meetings/1999/wct_wppt/pdf/imp99_3.pdf

This ties in nicely with the content manufacturers' dream of a
tamed digital environment where neither piracy nor fair use is
possible, and everything is pay-per-view, controlled and metered.
http://www.4centity.com/data/tech/cpsa/cpsa081.pdf

--
LarsG
http://eurorights.org