eBay: Burn DVD movies onto CD?

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 20 17:15:57 PDT 2001

On 20 Jun 2001, at 15:16, David Honig wrote:

> >do a cryptographic authentication procedure with the drive.  Code to
> >do this is covered under "circumvention device" in the DMCA according
> >to the 2600-MPAA case.
>
> Not if you have lawfully paid for the content.

have you filed an amicus curiae brief explaining this?  If so,  how
come the case isn't over yet,  with the 2600 people victorious.

> >If you don't do this authentication, the drives I have worked with
> >will just spit out zeros instead of the real data.
>
> If a cartridge doesn't have (C) SEGA in it, it won't play... ergo,
> (C) SEGA is not protected.
>
> GAME OVER.
>
> Cheers,
> dh

I'm not certain the judges will see things that way.  The fact that
you need something like DeCSS to view DVDs ON A LINUX BOX
might not prove decisive to a judge who might consider the
possibility that you could view them some other way,  say,
with a DVD player.  Alternatively,  Linus Torvalds could sell his
soul and say that source for linux DVD players will NOT be open.

I'm not justifying this kind of logic,  mind you,  just saying that
I think it's quite likely that that's the way the ruling is likely to
come out.

George