Ex-GOP senator's wife pleads to email attack campaign

robbin stewart gt_bear at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 17:15:20 PDT 2001

Matt, Declan, thanks for bringing this to my attention.
It's worse than it looks at first.  The prosecutor isn't claiming the
content of the message was untrue, but that using a "katie" psuedonym was
the falsity making the messages criminal.

I don't keep up on minnesota politics too well. Was the fall election close,
and did the publicity around the case have much impact?
It's fairly unusual for an incumbent senator to lose.

I just noticed that this was a -federal- election.  Therefor any minnesota
statutes on this topic are preempted by the FECA (441a or d or something.)

Arguably, what we have here is a case where the balance of the US Senate was
shifted because of an illegal conspiracy to violate the civil rights of the
(future) wife of a senator, by charging her under a statute which is
unconstitutional as applied to her, as well as probably unconstitutional per
se, under the minnesota constitution and McIntyre.
[There would also be a malicious prosecution issue.]

I detect the presence of my old nemisis J Bradley King, currently the
director of the Minn. election division.  I will try to contact Samuelson,
the ACLU guy mentioned in the article, before assuming the articles cited
got all the facts right.

As Matt mentioned, I have a small practice based in Indiana which monitors
and litigates about anonymous election speech on the net.
I would be eager to follow up on this case.
My bottleneck is that I don't have cocounsel for states other than Indiana -
I welcome solutions to this problem.
More info at http://communities.msn.com/robbinstewart

>From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
>To: Matthew Gaylor <freematt at coil.com>
In-Reply-To>Matt: That's a good point, and I should have highlighted it in
my article.